- Creating the Council of Leaders
- Executive Order No. 222
March 21, 1970
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 222
CREATING THE COUNCIL OF LEADERS
WHEREAS, it is imperative that the President of the Philippines be advised on all matters requiring policy pronouncements on national issues and problems and on actions he has to take on the same; aEHAIS
WHEREAS, there are presently two such advisory bodies the Council of State and the Council of Leaders whose functions and members are more or less identical and overlapping and duplicating each other; and
WHEREAS, to achieve better coordination of activities and more fruitful results, it is advisable that there be only one policy-making and consultative body to the President;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, FERDINAND E. MARCOS, President of the Philippines, by virtue of the powers vested in me by law, do hereby organize the Council of Leaders to be composed of the following:
1. The Vice President,
2. The President of the Senate,
3. The Speaker of the House of Representatives,
4. The President, Governors and City Mayors League of the Philippines, AaDSEC
5. The Former Presidents of the Republic of the Philippines,
6. The Presidents of the Political Parties which had candidates on a nation-wide scale in the last elections,
7. The Chairman of the Committees of both Houses of Congress whose functions are relevant to the subject matter to be discussed in the Council, and acHETI
8. The members of the Cabinet the functions of whose departments are relevant to the subject matter to be discussed in the Council.
The Council shall perform the functions presently being discharged by the Council of State which is hereby abolished.
The Cabinet Secretariat shall serve as permanent Secretariat of the Council and is hereby charged with the responsibility of preparing all implementing actions on, and the following-up of, all matters taken up by the Council, and keeping the President regularly informed of all action taken thereon.
DONE in the City of Manila, this 21st day of March, in the year of Our Lord, Nineteen Hundred and Seventy.