- Revised Rules in the Conduct of Examination, Issuance of Certificate of Marine Profession (CMP) and License to Seafarers Onboard Domestic Ships of Below 500 GT or with Engine Propulsion Power of Below 750 kW
- MARINA Circular No. 03-12
October 1, 2012
MARINA CIRCULAR NO. 03-12
|TO||:||All Concerned Domestic Seafarers and All Concerned|
|SUBJECT||:||Revised Rules in the Conduct of Examination, Issuance of Certificate of Marine Profession (CMP) and License to Seafarers Onboard Domestic Ships of Below 500 GT or with Engine Propulsion Power of Below 750 kW|
1. To provide the revised rules in the application, conduct of examination, issuance of Certificate of Marine Profession and license to seafarers onboard domestic ships of below 500 GT or with engine propulsion power of below 750 kW;
2. To ensure that only qualified and licensed seafarers shall man domestic ships of below 500 GT or with engine propulsion power of below 750 kW for safe navigation and operation; and,
3. To maintain a registry of licensed seafarers.
1. All seafarers holding MARINA issued licenses to act as Major Patron (MAP), Minor Patron (MIP), Boat Captain (BC), and Marine Diesel Mechanic (MDM); and,
2. All seafarers to be employed as officers onboard ships of below 500 GT or with engine propulsion power of below 750 kW.
III. Definition of Terms
1. For purposes of this Circular, the following nomenclatures with their corresponding limitations, are hereby adopted:
|Deck Department||Engine Department|
|MAP||Below 500||MDM 2||Below 750|
|MIP||Below 250||MDM 1||Below 500|
|BC 3||Below 100||Motorman||Below 250|
|BC 2||Below 35|
|BC 1||15 GT and Below|
2. Certificate of Marine Profession (CMP) refers to the document issued to passers of MAP, MIP, BC 1, BC 2, BC 3, MDM 1, MDM 2, Motorman and all those seafarers whose licenses were issued under MC 170 giving them authority to practice their profession. IcHSCT
3. License refers to the Identification (ID) Card issued to a person who is a holder of a Certificate of Marine Profession.
4. MARINA refers to the Maritime Industry Authority.
5. Panel of Examiners (POE) refers to a body created under this Circular to be chaired by the MARINA Administrator whose members shall consist of a pool of qualified Marine Officers tasked to formulate test questions, check examination papers and supervise the conduct of Oral Examinations.
6. Pool of Assessors refers to MARINA qualified personnel, under the direct supervision of the Panel of Examiners, authorized by the MARINA Administrator to conduct the Oral Examinations.
7. Seafarer refers to ship officers and ratings manning ships, cadets, service providers, company representatives and fishing vessel personnel.
8. Secretariat refers to personnel of the Manpower Development Office (MDO) or the concerned MARINA Regional Office (MRO) tasked to perform the assigned duties in the conduct of examinations, issuance of Certificate of Marine Profession (CMP) and license to passers.
9. Testimonial License refers to a document issued attesting to the competence of a seafarer to man a ship 15 GT and below based on experience.
IV. General Provisions
1. All seafarers who intend to man ships below 500 GT or engine propulsion power of below 750 kW shall take the licensure examinations under this Circular.
2. All officers who shall command ships of specified tonnages and those who operate or maintain the ships of specified propulsion power shall be subject to the required licenses for every responsibility onboard domestic ships.
3. Shipowners or operators shall ensure that their ships are manned only by duly licensed officers.
4. All holders of MAP, MIP, BC and MDM Licenses shall be issued a CMP and ID upon expiration of their licenses. Those issued with BC and MDM shall be categorized based on their sea going service as required in Annex 1. SIaHDA
5. All applicants for the issuance of new licenses, with the exception of those who intend to command ships of 15 GT and below, shall pass the written and oral examinations required under this Circular.
6. The duly constituted Panel of Examiners (POE) shall formulate examination questions and check answer sheets in the conduct of examinations. Likewise, they are tasked to supervise the Pool of Assessors during the Oral Examination.
7. The Pool of Assessor/s shall administer the oral examination.
8. All examination passers shall be issued a Certificate of Marine Profession (CMP). An equivalent license in the form of an identification (ID) card valid for three (3) years shall be issued upon submission/presentation of the Certificate of Marine Profession (CMP) and payment of the corresponding license fee.
9. A testimonial license shall be issued to seafarers in command of ships 15 GT and below subject to interview to be conducted by the Director/OIC of MDO or concerned MRO.
10. The MARINA shall maintain a system for the random selection of test questions from the databank every time an examination is conducted.
11. A Registry of Licenses shall be established and maintained at the MARINA Central Database.
V. Specific Provisions
A. Qualification and Documentary Requirements of Examinees
1. Requirements to Qualify for Examination (refer to Annex 1)
2. Documentary Requirements for the issuance of CMP and ID License
|under MC 170|
|colored photo in|
B. Schedule, Coverage/Scope, Mechanics and Result of Written Examination cDACST
1. Schedule of Examination
1.1 Central Office
1.1.1. Examinations shall be conducted at the MARINA Central Office every last Wednesday of the month.
1.1.2. A Notice of Examination shall be posted in the MARINA Central Office and published in MARINA Website.
1.1.3. Examinations may be conducted outside of the MARINA Central Office upon the request of shipping companies/associations provided that there are at least twenty (20) applicants/examinees involved.
1.2 Regional Office
1.2.1. The MRO Director/OIC may, as necessity requires, conduct examinations in his area of jurisdiction.
1.2.2. The schedule of examination shall be posted in the MARINA Regional Office, MARINA Website and circulated in the shipping companies and associations.
1.2.3. Examinations may be conducted outside of the MARINA Regional Office upon the request of shipping companies/associations provided that there are at least twenty-five (25) applicants/examinees involved.
2. Filing of Application for the Examination
2.1. The applicant shall secure the Application Form from the MDO-MARINA Central Office or any of the MARINA Regional Offices and pay the corresponding fee;
2.2. The examination permit shall be issued to the applicant upon submission of the duly accomplished Application Form, including the required supporting documents, and the receipt of payment of examination fee. DAcSIC
3. Coverage/Scope and Mechanics of the Examination
3.1. The Examination shall cover the following areas/elements:
|Major Patron||Minor Patron||Boat Captain 2 and 3|
|1.||Practical Navigation||1.||Practical Navigation||1.||Practical Navigation|
|3.||Weather & Marine||3.||Meteorology||3.||Meteorology|
|4.||Rules of the Road||4.||Rules of the Road||4.||Rules of the Road|
|5.||General Operators||5.||General Operators||5.||National maritime|
|Course and Simulator||Course and||laws|
|6.||National Maritime||6.||National Maritime|
|Marine Diesel||Marine Diesel||Motorman|
|Mechanic 1||Mechanic 2|
|1.||Engine Fundamental||1.||Internal Combustion:||1.||Fundamentals of|
|2.||Operating Principles||2.||Engine||2.||Electricity and|
|3.||Fuel Oil &||3.||Engine Test and||3.||Internal|
|Lubricating Oil||Applied Formula||Combustion|
|5.||Engine Operation||5.||National maritime||5.||National maritime|
|7.||Tools & Maintenance|
3.2. The oral examination to be administered by any of the assigned assessor/s from the Pool of Assessors shall be scheduled upon receipt of the results of the written examination. SHCaEA
3.3. An examinee must obtain a rating of at least 70% in the Written Examination to qualify for the Oral Examination.
3.4. The examinee must obtain at least 70% rating in the oral examination to qualify for the issuance of CMP and license.
4. Selection and Printing of Examination Questions
4.1. The MDO/MROs shall provide MISO with the list of the applicants and the request for examination questions and answer sheets, two (2) working days before the scheduled examination.
4.2. The MISO shall secure approval from the MARINA Administrator to generate the questions selected randomly from the databank.
4.3. Once approval from the MARINA Administrator has been secured, the MISO shall print the questions and answer sheets which shall be assigned a control number generated by the system and recorded in the database corresponding to the examinee.
4.4. The printed questionnaires together with the corresponding answer sheets shall be sealed in an envelope in the presence of the Administrator or his authorized representative, MISO Director or his authorized representative and the MDO Director or his authorized representative, their signatures reflected on the sealed envelope.
4.5. An MDO staff shall carry the sealed envelope containing the printed questionnaires and answer sheets to the requesting MRO on the day of the scheduled examination.
5. Conduct of the Examination DcAaSI
5.1. The Secretariat assigned to assist in the conduct of the examination shall check whether the examinee is the same person as the one in the examination permit.
5.2. The examinee shall sign in the space provided in the answer sheet.
6. Checking of the Answer Sheets
6.1. The Director/OIC of MDO or the concerned MRO shall forward all answer sheets to the MARINA Administrator as POE Chairman, thru the MDO staff (for examinations done at MROs), one (1) working day after the examination for subsequent endorsement to the Members of the POE.
6.2. The Members of the POE, upon receipt of the answer sheets from the Administrator, shall check the answer sheets within three (3) working days and submit the same to the Administrator together with the results in triplicate copies.
6.2.1. The examination result shall be translated into a Memorandum Matrix as shown below:
6.2.2. Upon receipt of the Memorandum Matrix, the MARINA Administrator takes action on the recommendation of the POE Members.
6.2.3. Upon the instruction of the MARINA Administrator, one (1) copy of the duly approved Written examination results shall be provided to the MISO which shall input the results in the Central Database and post in the MARINA Website. The other two (2) copies shall be provided to the MDO for posting in the MDO Bulletin Board and to the concerned MRO.
7. Conduct of Oral Examination
7.1 Upon receipt of the Memorandum Matrix approved by the Administrator, the Director/OIC, MDO/MROs shall call a meeting of the pool of assessors for the schedule and assignment of oral examination; cDSAEI
7.2 Assignment of assessors and schedule of oral examination shall be authorized by the Administrator/OIC thru issuance of a Special Order.
7.3 The MDO/MRO Director/OIC shall issue Notice of Oral Examination, within 5 days from the receipt of the approved Memorandum Matrix, to all examinees who passed the written examination;
7.2 * Oral examination shall be conducted by the Assessors using a pre-designed questions/test cases;
7.3 The Assessors shall immediately submit the result of the oral examination, using a prescribed format, to the Secretariat;
7.4 The Secretariat shall consolidate the results and prepare the Memorandum Matrix and forward the same together with all the answer sheets, to the MARINA Administrator as POE Chairman, one (1) working day after the examination.
8. Results of Oral Examination
8.1 The examination result shall be translated into a Memorandum Matrix in triplicate copies, as shown below:
8.2 Upon receipt of the Memorandum Matrix, the MARINA Administrator takes action on the recommendation of the Pool of Assessors attested by POE Members.
8.3 Upon the instruction of the MARINA Administrator, one (1) copy of the duly approved Oral examination results shall be provided to the MISO which shall input the results in the Central Database. The other two (2) copies shall be provided to the MDO for posting in the MDO Bulletin Board and to the concerned MRO. AcIaST
8.4 The MISO shall generate a Summary of the Final result, forward the same to the Administrator for his signature, as Chairman of the Panel of Examiners.
8.5 Copies of the summary of Final result signed by the Administrator shall be provided to the MISO for posting at the MARINA website, MDO for posting in their Office and to the MRO, when applicable.
9. Publication of the Result of Examination
9.1 The Final results of the examinations shall be posted at the MARINA Website fifteen (15) days after the Oral examination.
C. Issuance of Certificate of Marine Profession (CMP) and/or License/ID to New Passers
1. Central Office
1.1. The applicant shall secure the Application Form from the MDO-MARINA Central Office or any of the MARINA Regional Offices and pay the corresponding fee;
1.2. The Clerk shall print the CMP and/or License/ID upon submission of the duly-accomplished Application Form and supporting documents and the receipt of payment.
1.3. The Division Chief shall check the correctness of the information in the CMP and/or license/ID and affix his initial if found to be in order.
1.4. Signing of the CMP
1.4.1. In the case of the MAP and MIP, the MDO Director/OIC shall attest to the issuance of the CMP and shall endorse the same, together with the attached copy of the result of the examination, to the MARINA Administrator for signature.
1.4.2. In the case of BC, MDM and Motorman, the MDO Director/OIC shall sign the CMP.
1.5. The assigned MDO Clerk shall issue the signed CMP and/or License/ID to the applicant.
2. Regional Office ADTEaI
2.1. The applicant shall secure the Application Form from the concerned MARINA Regional Office and pay the corresponding fee;
2.2. The Clerk shall print the CMP and/or License/ID upon submission of the duly-accomplished Application Form and supporting documents and the receipt of payment.
2.3. The MRO Supervisor shall check the correctness of the information in the CMP and/or license/ID and affix his initial if found to be in order.
2.4. Signing of the CMP
2.4.1. In the case of MAP and MIP, the concerned MRO Director/OIC shall attest to the issuance of the CMP and shall endorse the same, together with the copy of the result of the examination, to the MARINA Administrator for signature.
2.4.2. The duly signed MAP/MIP CMP shall be mailed by the Office of the MARINA Administrator to MROs thru the MARINA Records Section.
2.4.3. In the case of BC, MDM and Motorman, the concerned MRO Director/OIC shall sign the CMP.
2.5. The assigned MRO Clerk shall issue the signed CMP and/or License/ID to the applicant.
D. Issuance of Testimonial CMP and License/ID to Boat Captain 1
1. Conduct of the Interview
1.1. The applicant shall secure the Application Form from the MDO-MARINA Central Office or any of the MARINA Regional Offices and pay the corresponding fee;
1.2. The assigned Clerk shall schedule the applicant for the conduct of the Interview upon submission of the duly-accomplished Application Form and supporting documents and the receipt of payment.
1.3. The interview shall be administered by the Director/OIC of MDO or concerned MRO. HcaDIA
1.4. The Director/OIC of the MDO or concerned MRO shall direct the Division Chief of MDO or the concerned MRO Supervisor for the issuance of CMP and License/ID once satisfied with the result of the interview.
2. Issuance of the Testimonial Certificate of Marine Profession (CMP) and/or License/ID
The procedure in the issuance of Testimonial Certificate of Marine Profession (CMP) and/or License/ID shall be in accordance with Section V.C. of this Circular.
E. Maintenance of the Central Database of Registry of CMP/Licenses
1. The MROs shall provide the MISO with the soft copy of the licenses issued within five (5) working days after the issuance of licenses.
2. The MISO shall update the Central Database with the soft copy of the CPM/Licenses issued by the MROs.
F. Maintenance of Databank of Examination Questions
1. The Members of POE shall, on a quarterly basis, submit to the MISO at least twenty (20) questions with corresponding answers for MAP/MIP/BC/MDM/Motorman.
2. The MISO shall be responsible for the updating of the Databank of Examination Questions.
G. Filing of Records
1. Upon the issuance of the CMP and License/ID, the MDO/MRO Secretariat shall forward the folder containing the file of the applicant to the Records Section for filing.
2. The Records Section, shall maintain a filing system for safekeeping and easy retrieval of records. caHCSD
VI. Panel of Examiners
1. Constitution and Composition
1.1. The Members of the Panel of Examiners shall be composed of qualified Marine Officers who meet the minimum qualification requirements set forth by the MARINA.
1.2. There shall be separate Panels of Examiners for Deck and for Engine consisting of four (4) members each.
1.3. The MARINA Administrator or his duly designated representative shall serve as Chairman of the two (2) Panels.
2. Term of Office
2.1. The Members of the POE shall have a term of three (3) years unless sooner replaced for a cause.
3. Qualifications of Panel of Examiners
3.1. DECK Department
3.1.1. Filipino citizen
3.1.2. Physically and Mentally fit
3.1.3. Duly licensed Master Mariner/Chief Mate/Second Mate or Third Mate
3.1.4. Must have three (3) years experience as Master Mariner/Second Mate or Third Mate
3.1.5. Of good moral character
3.2. ENGINE Department
3.2.1. Filipino citizen
3.2.2. Physically and Mentally fit
3.2.3. Duly licensed Chief/Second/Third or Fourth Engineer
3.2.4. Must have three (3) years experience as Chief Engineer/Second/Third or Fourth Engineer
3.2.5. Of good moral character DcITaC
4. Selection of the Members of the Panel of Examiners
4.1. The MARINA shall publish the notice of invitation for filling up the vacancy for membership in the Panel of Examiners in a news paper of general circulation.
4.2. The MDO Director shall prepare the short list of applicants detailing the qualifications and shall submit it to the Selection Committee created by the MARINA Administrator for the purpose.
4.3. The Selection Committee shall evaluate the qualification of the applicants and shall submit its recommendation to the MARINA Administrator for approval.
4.4. The MARINA Administrator shall submit the list of selected applicants to the MARINA Board for confirmation.
5. Duties and Responsibilities of the Members of the Panel of Examiners
5.1. The appointed Examiners shall:
5.1.1. Formulate examination questions including the answers for submission to the MARINA through the MISO on a quarterly basis.
5.1.2. Formulate the procedures in the conduct of written and oral examinations for applicants of Major Patron, Minor Patron, Boat Captain 3, 2 and Marine Diesel Mechanic 2 and 1 and Motorman, as appropriate;
5.1.3. Check the answer sheets of the examinees within three (3) working days after the examination and indicate therein the final ratings obtained by the examinee;
5.1.4. Prepare a report of the completed results of the examination for submission to the MARINA Administrator;
5.1.5. Supervise the Pool of Assessors in the conduct of Oral Examinations; and
5.1.6. Attend meeting/s organized by the MARINA Administrator or Chairman of the Panels.
6.1 The Members of the Panel of Examiners shall receive remuneration as determined by the MARINA Administrator and approved by the MARINA Board.
VII. Pool of Assessors ICHAaT
1. The MARINA Administrator, as Chairman of Panel of Examiners, shall officially designate qualified MARINA personnel to be a Member of Pool of Assessors, upon the recommendation of the MDO Director/OIC.
2.1. Must have undertaken the IMO Model Course 3.12;
2.2. Must have Educational/Training backgrounds related to the subject to be assessed;
2.3. Must have at least one (1) year sea service;
2.4. Must be an organic personnel of the MARINA; and
2.5. Must be of good moral character.
3. Duties and Responsibilities:
3.1. Conduct the Oral Examination;
3.2. Prepare the result of Oral Examination conducted;
3.3. Assist the Panel of Examiners in developing additional tools for the effective conduct of assessment.
VIII. Secretariat and Its Duties
1. The MDO or Regional Director concerned shall officially designate personnel to compose their respective POE Secretariat.
2. The MDO or Regional Director concerned shall directly supervise the POE Secretariat and ensure that their duties and responsibilities are effectively performed.
3. Duties and Responsibilities:
3.1. Central Office
3.1.1. Calendar the schedule of examination.
3.1.2. Assist in the conduct of examinations.
3.1.3. Prepare Notice of Oral Examination to be signed by the MDO Director/OIC.
3.1.4. Draft Memorandum endorsing the results of the examinations to the MARINA Administrator thru the MDO Director/OIC. IaESCH
3.1.5. Inform the Members of the Panel of Examiners of meetings to be held and record proceedings and deliberations of such meetings.
3.1.6. Attend to the administrative requirements of the Panel of Examiners.
3.2. Regional Office
3.2.1. Calendar the schedule of examination;
3.2.2. Assist in the conduct of examinations;
3.2.3. Prepare Notice of Oral Examination to be signed by the MRO Director/OIC.
3.2.4. Facilitate the transmittal of the examination papers and answer sheets to the Administrator through the Panel of Examiners.
3.2.5. Upon receipt of the confirmed/approved results of the examinations from the MISO, post the same in the MRO Office.
IX. Oath Taking Ceremonies
Passers of MARINA Examinations shall take their oath as licensed officers before the MARINA Administrator for the Central Office or the Directors/OICs for the MARINA Regional Offices.
X. Fees and Charges
|Examination Fee *|
|Oral|| 500.00 |
|Issuance of Certificate of Marine Profession (CMP) **|
|For holders of licenses issued under MC 170||160.00|
|Replacement of Lost||1,500.00|
|Replacement of Damaged||750.00|
|Issuance of License/ID|
|Replacement of Lost||700.00|
|Replacement of Damaged||500.00|
|*||Boat Captain 1 is exempted from the payment of written examination fee|
|but shall pay the oral examination fee.|
|**||Above fees do not include Documentary Stamp.|
A. A seafarer shall be liable for the following acts: CDaTAI
1. For submission of any false statements, fraudulent or tampered document/license: shall be liable to pay the following administrative penalties.
2. For going onboard/join a ship without license: shall be liable to pay the following administrative penalties.
3. For going onboard ship with expired license: shall be liable to pay the following administrative penalties.
B. Any entity or company (ship operator/ship owners) shall be liable for the following acts:
1. For facilitating/assisting the seafarer in securing the fake, tampered, fraudulent document/s or license/s.
|2nd Offense||=||cancellation of CPC|
2. For employing an officer onboard without license or with expired license.
|2nd Offense||=||cancellation of CPC|
C. In addition to the foregoing fines and penalties, the concerned seafarer and/or responsible official of the entity/company or agency/representative shall be subject to criminal prosecution under the Revised Penal Code.
XII. Transitory Provision
MAP/MIP/BC/MDM Licenses issued prior to the effectivity of this Circular shall remain valid until September 2013. EaCSHI
XIII. Repealing Clause
Memorandum Circular No. 170 is hereby repealed. Any provisions of other MARINA Circulars and issuances which are inconsistent with this Circular are hereby repealed or modified accordingly.
XIV. Separability Clause
Should any provision or part of this Circular be declared by competent Authority to be invalid or unconstitutional, the remaining provisions or parts hereof shall remain in full force and effect and shall continue to be valid and effective.
This MARINA Circular shall take effect on 01 October 2012.
BY AUTHORITY OF THE BOARD:
(SGD.) ATTY. NICASIO A. CONTI
This is to certify that MARINA Circular No. 2012-03 has been approved by the MARINA Board in its 219th Regular Board Meeting held on 04 July 2012.
(SGD.) ATTY. VIRGILIO C. CALAG
Corporate Board Secretary
Qualification and Documentary Requirements of Examinees
| || |
| || |
2 (BC 2)
| || |
| || || || || || || |
| || || |
|1.||Citizenship||Must be a Filipino Citizen||SIRB or|
|2.||Age||At least 18 years of age|
|3.||Character||Of good moral character||NBI|
|4.||Medical||Certified physically and mentally fit particularly regarding eyesight by DOH accredited||Annual|
|by a DOH-|
|5.||Sea||1 year||1 year||1 year||1 year||2 years||1 year||1 year||2 years||Valid SIRB|
|service||service||service||service||service||service||service||service||MIP, BC 3,|
|as MIP||as BC 3||as BC 2||as BC 1||onboard||as||as||in||MDM 2,|
|ship of||ship of||ship of||ship of||of any||onboard||onboard||capacity|
|250 GT||100 GT||35 GT||15 GT||with||with||engine||Valid SIB|
|below||of below||or 1 year||service|
|500 kW||250 kW||sea||and|
|ship||for BC 2,|
|with||BC 1 &|
|6.||Education||Bachelor||Comple-||Comple-||At least||Must be||Bachelor||Comple-||At least||College|
|of||ted the||ted the||High||able to||of||ted the||high||Diploma,|
|in||require-||require-||Graduate||and||in Marine||require-||graduate||of Records|
|Transpor-||of BSMT||BSMT||Seafaring||ring||of||Seafaring||Copy of|
|MIP, BC 3,|
|for BC 2,|
|BC 1 &|
|1||Conducted by training centers accredited by the Maritime Training Council (MTC).|
|2||Conducted by MTC-accredited training centers with valid accreditation to offer BST and are members of the PAMTCI.|