- Rules on the Accreditation of Instructors and/or Assessors
- MARINA Circular No. 03-13
March 15, 2013
MARINA CIRCULAR NO. 03-13
|TO||:||All Maritime Training Institutions, Maritime Industry Stakeholders and Other Entities Concerned|
|SUBJECT||:||Rules on the Accreditation of Instructors and/or Assessors|
1. To prescribe policies and guidelines in the accreditation of Instructors and/or Assessors of the maritime training institutions; and
2. To ensure that only those Instructors and Assessors accredited by MARINA shall conduct training and assessment respectively, by the accredited maritime training institutions.
This Circular shall apply to the Instructors and Assessors of training courses under the following Chapters of the
1. Chapters II and III Relevant regulations covering the approved education and training;
2. Chapter IV GOC for GMDSS;
3. Chapter V Special training requirements for personnel on certain types of ships; and
4. Chapter VI Emergency occupational safety, security, medical care, and survival functions.
III. Definition of Terms:
For the purpose of this Circular, the following terms shall be defined as follows:
1. Instructor refers to an authorized personnel of the training institution/center conducting training, teaching and instruction to all trainees who are enrolled in a particular training program.
2. Assessor refers to an authorized personnel of the training center conducting assessment of competence of trainees to determine if they have met the required standard of competence as required by the
3. Maritime Training Institution refers to the duly established institutions/centers, public or private, duly authorized by the Administration to offer maritime training courses in accordance with the
4. Certificate of Accreditation refers to the document issued by MARINA to Instructors and/or Assessors authorizing them to conduct training and/or assessment at any accredited maritime training institutions/centers.
IV. General Provisions:
1. All Instructors and Assessors conducting training and/or assessment to any courses under Item II should be accredited by MARINA.
2. All new applicant for Instructor and/or Assessor shall undergo the written and oral examination/panel interview before the Certificate of Accreditation and Identification Card (ID) will be issued by MARINA.
3. The issued ID to the accredited Instructors and/or Assessors shall always be worn by the concerned assessors/instructors when conducting training and/or assessment.
4. Only those Instructors and Assessors with valid Certificate of Accreditation and ID issued by MARINA shall be authorized to conduct training and/or assessment for all courses stipulated in Item II above.
5. All Instructors and Assessors with valid certificate of accreditation and ID can teach and/or assess to any accredited maritime training institutions without further approval from MARINA.
6. All existing Instructor and/or Assessor shall undergo revalidation before the Accreditation Certificate and ID will be issued by MARINA.
7. The MARINA shall establish a Pool of Examiners and/or Panel of Interviewers per Course who will supervise the written and oral examination/interview of new applicants. The results of the written and oral examination/panel interview shall be submitted to the Executive Director for appropriate action.
8. The list of accredited Instructors and/or Assessors shall be posted in the MARINA website.
V. Specific Provisions:
1. All existing Instructors and/or Assessors previously approved by MARINA may apply personally or may submit their application for the issuance of Certificate of Accreditation and ID at the STCW Office, through the training center's authorized Liaison Officers for revalidation.
2. New Instructors and/or Assessors shall submit the documentary requirements in accordance with the approved qualification standards to the MARINA for evaluation. Those applicant Instructors and/or Assessors who passed the documentary evaluation shall be notified to undergo the written and oral examination/panel interview.
3. Certificate of Accreditation and ID shall be issued within fifteen (15) days after completion of the written and oral examination/panel interview.
4. Those applicants who failed in the written and/or oral examination/panel interview may be allowed to re-apply after three (3) months.
5. Only the following Instructors and/or Assessors shall be accredited by MARINA and be allowed to conduct training and/or assessment:
For Existing Instructor and/or Assessor those who passed the revalidation
For New Applicant for Instructor and/or Assessor those who passed the written and oral examination/panel interview conducted by Pool of Examiners and/or Panel of Interviewers per Course TECIaH
VI. Documentary Requirements:
The application for accreditation shall be accepted by the MARINA STCW Office upon presentation of the following:
1. For Existing Instructor and/or Assessor
1.1 Application Letter
1.2 Letter of Approval issued by MARINA or the then Maritime Training Council (MTC)
1.3 Payment of the required fees and charges
2. For New Applicant for Instructor and/or Assessor
2.1 Application Letter
2.2 Certified True Copy of the required documents indicated in the approved Qualification Standards issued by MARINA
2.3 Payment of the required fees and charges
VII. Fees and Charges:
The payment of following fees and charges shall be made through the MARINA Central Office or any accessible Regional Offices:
|Application and Examination Fee||-||P500.00|
|Accreditation Fee and ID for Instructors||-||P500.00|
|Replacement of Lost/Damaged Certificate||-||P500.00|
|of Accreditation or ID|
|Accreditation Fee and ID for Instructors||-||P1,000.00|
|who are at the same time Assessors|
|Surcharge for Expired Accreditation||-||P500.00|
VIII. Validity of the Certificate and ID:
The Accreditation Certificate and ID shall be valid for five (5) years and the application for renewal shall be filed at least six (6) months before the expiration of the original certificate and ID.
IX. Fines and Penalties:
1. An applicant who after due process, has been found to have submitted false statement in his application, fraudulent or tampered certificates or documents shall pay the following administrative penalties:
|Second and Succeeding Offenses||-||P10,000.00|
2. Any Certificate of Accreditation and ID issued by MARINA shall be subject to suspension or revocation if the holder is found guilty of gross violation of this Circular.
X. Transitory Provisions:
All existing Instructors and/or Assessors who were previously approved by MARINA or the then Maritime Training Council (MTC) shall be recognized up to 31 December 2013. Thereafter, only those who have a valid Certificate of Accreditation and ID issued by MARINA shall be authorized to teach and/or assess at any accredited maritime training institution.
XI. Repealing Clause:
All other issuances that are inconsistent with the provisions of this MARINA Circular are hereby superseded, repealed or amended accordingly.
This MARINA Circular shall take effect fifteen (15) days after its publication once in a newspaper of general circulation.
Manila, Philippines, March 15, 2013.
BY AUTHORITY OF THE BOARD:
(SGD.) ATTY. NICASIO A. CONTI
Maritime Industry Authority
This is to certify that MARINA Memorandum Circular No. ____ was approved during the _____ Regular Meeting of the Maritime Industry Board of Directors held on _____________.
(SGD.) ATTY. VIRGILIO B. CALAG
Acting Corporate Board Secretary